welcome to Mycenae – GREECE
The site of Mycenae is located in the far north of the plain of Argos, in the foothills of Mt Zara and the hill of Profitis Ilias. The site, product of many centuries of human occupation, now consists of a walled acropolis of the late bronze age, with surrounding remains of houses, industrial installations, and groups of tombs.
The site was probably occupied as early as the late neolithic period, that is before 3500BC. There is also evidence of early (about 3500BC to 2100BC) and middle (about 2100BC to 1700BC) bronze age occupation; this evidence consists mostly of pottery sherds found during the excavations that can be dated to those periods. These sherds come from unstratified deposits, which means that they simply represent disturbed debris rather than the buried remains of houses.
Continue reading Mycenae map GREECE – Detailed map of Mycenae
welcome to Mystras – GREECE
Mystras is located 5 km. NW of Sparta in the prefecture of Laconia. In 1204 the Western participants of the Fourth Crusade captured Constantinople, the seat of the Byzantine Empire, and founded the Latin Empire of Romania. The most important state founded by the Franks was the Principality of Morea. In 1248 William II de Villehardouin, with the capture of the Fortress of Monembasia, conquered Laconia. In 1949 he built a castle on the summit of Myzethra hill, a very steep foothill situated on the northern slopes of Mt. Taygetos. In the Chronicle of the Morea the following passage is found: ” After searching through these parts, He found a strange hill, as though cut off from the mountain, about 5 km. away, above Lacedaemonia (Sparta). Wishing to fortify this hill, he ordered a castle built on its summit. and he named it Myzethra”. The name Mystra is thought to be derived from Myzethra, a popular Greek cheese.
Continue reading Mystras map GREECE – Detailed map of Mystras
welcome to Monemvasia – GREECE
Monemvasia is a middle-aged, Byzantine and Roman castle-state, up in a hill. It is connected with the opposite Peloponnesian bay with narrow lane of earth. The peninsula that is built was named Minoa and perhaps it was Minoan navy yard. Because it was usually attacked of Slaves the Greek of Laconia fortified it and used it as a port and shelter. In 1147 repulsed the Norman’s attacks and in 1249 it was subordinated after sieges of three years, Goulemos Bileardouinos made everything to return it to Byzantium in 1263.
For four years it passed to the authority of Pope later the Venetians and finally the Turkish until 1823. In a distance of 1000m is the Bridge, the New Monamvasia, a modern tourist center.
Continue reading Monemvasia map GREECE – Detailed map of Monemvasia
welcome to Gythio – GREECE
Gythio (26 Km from Areopoli and 46 Km from Sparta), Starta’s ancient port, is the gateway to the dramatic Mani peninsula, and one of the south’s most attractive seaside towns. Gythio was destroyed in 455 B.C. by Athenians, but Spartans rebuilt it again. In 195 A.D. occupied by Romans.
Out to the sea, tethered by a long narrow mole, is the islet Marathonisi, ancient Kranae, where Paris of Troy, having abducted Helen from Menelaus’ palace at Sparta, dropped anchor, and where the lovers spent their first night. Paris forgot his helmet on the islet as he was leaving an incident which gave it its name (helmet = kranos in Greek).
Continue reading Gythio map GREECE – Detailed map of Gythio